Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mr. Badia's wonderful world of Science and Math

Dear parents and students of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th,

It is with great joy and enthusiasm that I welcome you to another exciting, stimulating, and fun-filled school year. As always, our goal to enrich the minds and spirits of our students is central to us here at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs school. I hope you all have had a wonderful summer and that you are as eager as I to begin.

This year as in the previous, I will be instructing the children in Math and Science. Students will be working individually as well as collaboratively in both subject areas. Students are responsible to complete all assignments and to prepare for quizzes and tests. All students will be taking a mid-term and final exam, with the 4th graders also taking the NY State Exam in both respective subjects.

In Science there will be a minimum of 20 experiments that cover topics that range from matter and energy to fossils and plants. In addition to our Science curriculum, the 4th grade class will also participate with New York City’s Green Apple Corp., a team of ecological instructors who are responsible in restoring New York’s parks and natural environments. Mathematics will continue to focus on the development of vocabulary, computational and problem-solving skills through the use of various methodologies and lessons in accordance to the standards set forth by the State of New York.

Preparation is a vital part of success. Below I have provided a list of supplies your child will need. I look forward to working together with you and wish all a happy and successful year. Remember “ no one plans to fail, except those who fail to plan.”

THANK YOU.

MR. BADIA

MATH

-1 MARBLE GRAPH NOTEBOOK -GRAPH PAPER

-RULER WITH METRIC SYSTEM -#2 PENCILS

SCIENCE

-1 MARBLE NOTEBOOK -HAND SANITIZER

-LOOSELEAF -COLORED PENCILS

-BLACK OR BLUE INK PEN (3RD AND 4TH ONLY)

STUDENTS SHOULD HAVE A FOLDER WITH THEM AT ALL TIMES TO PLACE ASSIGNMENTS, TESTS TO BE SIGNED, AND OR ANY IMPORTANT HANDOUTS.